The UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief and Muslims for Progressive Values cordially invite you to a public event, 10 June 2016 from 14h30 to 17h00 in Room IX at Palais des Nations
With the Civil Society: 14:45-15:30
Moderator: Kate Gilmore, United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Ganoune Diop is the Secretary General of the International Religious Liberty Association. He is the Director of the Public Affairs and Religious Liberty Department (PARL) at the Seventh-day Adventist Church world headquarters. He is currently secretary of the Conference of Secretaries of the Christian World Communions. He extensively works to foster mutual understanding between Christian faith traditions and other world religions and philosophies.
- Javaid Rehman is the Professor of Islamic Law and International Law (and former Head of School) at Brunel University. He remains one of the leading scholars in the subject of human rightsand Islamic jurisprudence. He has been an advisor and consultant to various international organisations and global think tanks.
- Joleen Mataele is a transgender woman activist for HIV & AIDS awareness and LGBTIQ issues. She is the President and Executive Director of the Tonga Leiti’s Association (TLA) which is the only Organization for all LGBTIQ in Tonga and the President/Co-Founder of the Pacific Sexual Diversity Network (PSDN), also the only network for the LGBTIQ in the Pacific.
With the UN Experts: 15:30-16:15
Moderator: Ani Zonneveld, Founder and President of Muslims for Progressive Values
- Heiner Bielefeldt has served as United Nations Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief (since 2010). He is Professor of Human Rights and Human Rights Policy at the University of Erlangen. From 2003 to 2009, Bielefeldt was the Director of the German Institute for Human Rights, which monitors the human rights situation inside Germany.
- Margaret Segakkya was the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of Human Rights Defenders (2008 -2014). She held the position of chairperson of the Uganda human Rights Commission from its establishment in 1996 to 2008.
- Vitit Muntarbhorn is the Commissioner of the (UN) Commission of Inquiry on Syria (since 2012). He was also the Chairperson of the (UN) Commission of Inquiry on the Ivory Coast (2011), former UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, UN Human Rights Council (2004-2010) and former UN Special Rapporteur on the Sale of Children, Child Prostitution and Child Pornography, UN Human Rights Commission (1990-1994).
For NON-UN participants, please register with firstname.lastname@example.org