Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, including name, email address, address, and financial information.
As part of our work, the Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) gathers and uses personal information from donors; members; participants at convenings, webinars and other AWID activities; individuals purchasing resources and individuals signing up for electronic communications.
AWID’ s general policy on information collected on our websites is available here.
AWID is committed to carefully protecting all personal information and using it only for the purpose for which it was collected, subject to the individual’s consent.
AWID recognizes that we are responsible for all personal information under our control.
AWID will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
AWID will ensure that the knowledge and consent of the individual are obtained for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
AWID will only collect personal information that is necessary for the purposes identified. Information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – AWID will ensure that personal information is not used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law.
AWID will ensure that personal information under our care is as accurate, complete, and up – to – date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
AWID will protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of information.
AWID is conscious of the particular need for sensitivity with regard to personal information of individuals who are at risk or threat relating to their work on defending women’s rights.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. As a result, while AWID strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information during the transmission of data to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we use our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems.
AWID will make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Upon request, an individual will be informed by AWID of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and will be given access to that information. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
AWID will ensure that an individual is able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization’s compliance.
Application of Privacy Practice
Participation at AWID convenings:
- In the registration process, we only collect from participants’ personal information necessary for registration, meeting planning and networking purposes.
- An individual has the right to withdraw consent for photos but must be aware that it may be impossible for AWID to erase a photo (or other videos or recordings) from all materials.
- Credit cards: We may receive payments by telephone, fax, in person or through the mail. The information about the card is kept in a safe place and destroyed 60 days after the transaction is approved for a one – time payment (donation, registration , other fees )
- Online payments: While using Authorize.net , iATs , and Chase Payment Tech for processing credit card payments , AWID employees’ access to credit card information is restricted and they have no access to credit card numbers.
- No credit card information will be stored within the website, or on AWID servers; payments are processed through our authorized third – party payment gateway.
Privacy Policies for the payment gateways are available online for your review via the following links :
Online information Limiting Collection
- Through its website AWID collects only personal information that is necessary for the purposes for which the information is collected. Any information collected is done in a straightforward and honest manner and with the individual or organization’s consent.
- Individuals may register online for webinars and convenings. We may email them about their registration and the event for which they registered.
- With their prior consent, we may subsequently email them about other opportunities to participate in AWID (such as becoming a member or upcoming convenings or webinars). We do not share their personal information with any person or organization outside AWID.
Storage of personally identifiable information
- Personally identifiable information collected online by AWID is securely stored and is not accessible to third parties. It is used by AWID only for purposes for which it is collected and for internal analyses by AWID employees only .
- All information concerning donors or prospective donors, including their names, addresses and telephone numbers, the names of their beneficiaries, the amount of their gift, etc., is kept strictly confidential by AWID , unless per mission is obtained from donors to release such information.
- Donor information may be accessed only by AWID employees who have a need to know in order to perform a “fundraising activity” and members of the Resource Mobilization committee. Donor information is used only for development or recognition purposes.