Join us at the AWID Forum this September 8-11th in Bahia, Brazil, to stand in solidarity with each other, to strategize towards a feminist future, and to bring together our movements in a safe space.
Now is the time to imagine futures free from oppressions, injustice, war and violence and to develop concrete strategies for people and planet based on our shared humanity.
OURs at the AWID Forum
For the first time, this year OURs is proud to host events at the 13th AWID International Forum. Look for us to highlight the impacts of conservative actors on our human rights and discuss progressive moves, innovative tactics and organizing by activists around the world to push back against the undermining of our fundamental rights and freedoms.
OURs is coordinating the following events:
- Push Back and Step Forward: Our Human Rights at Risk (hosted by the OURs team)
- How Can We Reclaim Our Rights? Universal Human Rights and the Fierce Backlash of Religious Fundamentalisms (a collaborative effort by OURs Working Group members)
Other events relevant to our work:
- Gender Justice Activism and International Human Rights caucus (held over two days)
- Demystifying and Shaping International Protections on VAW and Discrimination against Women (a civil society/UN consultation)
- Religious Fundamentalisms and our Rights to Culture (a civil society/UN consultation)
And some of the events our Working Group members are hosting:
- Sexuality and Gender at the UN Human Rights Council: 10 years past and onwards (organized by the Sexual Rights Initiative)
- Recognizing Common Ground: Islam and Women’s Human Rights (organized by Musawah)
- Successful Strategies for Sexual Rights Advocacy: Building our Collective Power in Muslim Societies and Beyond (organized by the Coalition for Sexual and Bodily Rights in Muslim Societies and the Asian-Pacific Research and Resource Centre for Women)
- Emerging Powers, Gender, Sexuality and Human Rights (organized by the Coalition of African Lesbians and SPW)
- Building an Intersectional Approach to Women’s Rights at the International Level (organized by ARC International, ARROW and others)
If you are interested in the work of OURs or would like to collaborate, please get in touch.
For those attending the AWID Forum, we invite you to join our session, and for those not present, please join the conversation on Twitter with the following hashtags: