The Musawah Toolkit for Advocates is a compilation of texts that explain and expand the Musawah key messages. It is a tool for building knowledge and mobilising (doing advocacy) on equality and justice in the family.
This document summarises background papers on topics around Muslim law, Muslim families and gender discourses.
Table of Contents
- Towards Gender Equality: Muslim family laws and the Shari’ah by Ziba Mir-Hosseini
- Ikhtilaf Al-Fuqaha: Diversity in fiqh as social construction by Muhammad Khalid Masud
- Islam beyond Patriarchy through Gender Inclusive Qur’anic Analysis by Amina Wadud
- The Genesis of Family Law: How shari’ah, custom and colonial laws influenced the development of personal status codes by Amira El-Azhary Sonbol
- Family Law in Contemporary Muslim Contexts: Triggers and strategies for change by Cassandra Balchin
- Women’s Place and Displacement in the Muslim Family: Realities from the twenty-first century by Kamala Chandrakirana
- The human rights Commitment in Modern Islam by Khaled Abou El Fadl
- Opening Speech by Zainah Anwar, Musawah Project Director Global Meeting for Equality and Justice in the Muslim Family 14 February 2009, Kuala Lumpur
- Annexe 2: How You Can Get Involved